Office Phone & Voice Mail (440) 988-5894 -- x103
Office Hours Monday - Wednesday - Saturday 8 AM - 11 AM
Permits are Required for the Following:
New Construction House/Commercial Building
Storage Building (Accessory Building)
Ponds (1/4 acre or larger)
Twp. Road Ditch Enclosure & Driveway Approach (requires an application)
Applications for Zoning Permits must be presented to and signed in person by the Zoning Inspector. Applications that are just dropped off at the Township will not be accepted.
Applications for Zoning Permits:
Township Zoning Fees (click here)
Ditch Enclosure & Driveway Approach Application and Permit (click here)
The Amherst Township Zoning Commission consists of five (5) members appointed by the Township Trustees. The members serve a term of five (5) years and their terms expire individually, one per year. Members of the Zoning Commission shall be residents of the unincorporated portion of Amherst Township. The Township Trustees may also appoint up to two (2) alternate members to the Zoning Commisssion.
Powers and Duties
The Zoning Commission shall have the following Powers & Duties
- Prepare Zoning Resolutions
- Review all site plans and applications
- Review all proposed Zoning Amendments and submit a recommendation to the Township Trustees
The Zoning Commission regularly scheduled meeting is the First Tuesday of each Month at 6:30 PM in the Township Hall. Other meetings may be scheduled as needed by the Chairman of the Commission. Meetings are open to the Pubic.
Glenn Thome (Chair) (14)
Hank Harsar (Sec & Vice Chair) (15)
James Conrady (11)
Darryl Saladin (12)
Mark Onysk (Alternate I - 12/31/13)
Open (Alternate II)
Zoning Applications such as:
Zoning Amendments and Site Plan Reviews are submitted through the Zoning Inspector and are available at the Township Hall.
Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)
The Board of Zoning Appeals consists of five (5) members appointed by the Township Trustees. Members shall be residents of the unincorporated portion of Amherst Township. The members serve a term of five (5) years and their terms expire one per year. The Township Trustees may also appoint up to two (2) alternate members to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
Powers & Duties
The Board of Zoning Appeals shall have the following Powers & Duties
- To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by the Zoning Inspector in the enforcement of this Resolution.
- To authorize, upon appeal, in specific cases, such variance from the terms of the Zoning Regulations as will not be contrary to the public interest, where owing to special conditions, a literal enforcement of this Resolution will result in unnecessary hardship, and so that the spirit of the Resolution shall be observed and substantial justice done.
- To exercise such powers as may be granted to the Board by this Resolution, amendment thereto or by the general laws as set forth in the Ohio Revised Code as amended.
- To review and decide all applications for conditional use permits according to the standards, criteria and procedures of this Resolution.
Kirsten Hill (Chair) (09)
Marcie Jaworski (sec) (10)
Remi Cerrone (11)
Ron Sleasman (12)
Rose Betchker (13)
Joan Whitman (Alternate I - 12/31/13)
Roy Cochran (Alternate II - 12/31/13)
Zoning Variances and Appeals Applications
Zoning Variance and Appeals Applications are available at the Township Hall from the Zoning Inspector.
Conditional Use Applications are available at the Township Hall from the Zoning Inspector.
The Board of Zoning Appeals has no regularly scheduled meetings but meets on demand based on applications.
Whenever a violations of a Resolution occurs, or is alleged to have occurred, any person may file a written complaint. Such complaints stating fully the causes and basis thereof shall be filed with the Zoning Inspector. Please click here to Download the Resident Complaint Form.
Amherst Township Zoning Map
Click Here for a pdf version of the Amherst Township Zoning Map.
Adobe Acrobat reader is required to view and print the pdf file. Adobe Acrobat is free and available for downloading by clinking the link below.